There are over 4.5 billion people in the world who use email marketing in their businesses. And approximately 80% of businesses utilize it as their main customer acquisition and retention strategy.
With so many businesses utilizing this tool, it’s not surprising that hackers are so interested in it. Scammers use malicious links, unsolicited emails, and other tactics to penetrate your systems and pilfer your files, personal information, and other crucial resources.
You need to be proactive to make sure you don’t fall victim to their attacks. In this post, we’re sharing five of the most common email marketing threats that businesses face daily.
- Phishing: This is one of the most archaic email marketing threats businesses have had to deal with since the early 2000s. Phishing utilizes social engineering and other methods to get employees to share personal information that could be used to steal their data, identities, or money.
- Spoofing: Spoofing is one of the most popular email marketing threats today’s businesses faces. Spoofs are fake emails used by criminals and scammers to imitate real brands. Recipients are asked to share their personal information or complete a transaction by clicking on bogus links included in the emails.
- Spam: This is the oldest and probably the most annoying threat. Spam refers to unsolicited or unwanted messages that promote different services and products, most of which are phony. Some also contain malware in the form of attachments or links. These emails clog mailboxes with trash that serves no purpose other than to waste time or impact productivity.
- BEC (Business Email Compromise): Due to the increase in remote work, these attacks have grown aggressively since the beginning of the pandemic. These assaults are like phishing, but the only purpose is to steal money. They imitate high-ranking professionals and urge employees to falsify accounts.
- Malware: Malware is used for one core reason – to interrupt business operations. These hackers trick users into adding adware, spyware, and ransomware by prompting them to click on popups, email attachments, and links.
There’s no doubt that email marketing will continue to rule the business world. Now that you’re aware of the five most dangerous email marketing threats, you need to take proactive steps to maximize your protection. And Blue Orchid Marketing can help! We’re always up to date on the latest in email marketing and can help your business exceed your marketing goals.
Give us a call today at 203-746-5901 or email us at sales@BlueOrchidMarketing.com to schedule a consultation.
Keep in mind that we always provide other important marketing services, strategies, and tools, all designed to grow your business, including Reputation Management, Direct Mail Marketing, and other successful marketing tools.