As a business owner, you probably already know that email marketing is one of the best ways to communicate directly with your audience. You can build and nurture relationships to foster loyalty. It’s also an effective way to increase leads, execute large campaigns, and generate traffic to your website.
With all the benefits your company can enjoy from email marketing, it’s no wonder that over 60% of small businesses utilize it. But to be successful, you must avoid these 5 mistakes.
- Email without a purpose. While building and nurturing relationships with your customers is one of the main objectives of email marketing, remember that they don’t want to hear from your company just for the sake of communicating.
Ensure that each email you send has a clear purpose, whether to inform, motivate, or entertain.
- Talk about yourself too much. Many businesses fall into the trap of talking about everything about the company and its sales. While marketing your products and services is important in some cases, what your audience is really looking for is value, such as exclusive deals and entertaining or educational content in their inbox.
- Use ineffective subject lines. In most cases, people decide whether to open an email based just on the subject line. A mistake marketers make is wording the subject in a way that sounds like spam, so it never gets opened. An effective subject line should be short, ideally 7 words.
- Being inconsistent with your messaging. Just sending random emails will not get you the results you desire. You must stick to a schedule that your audience can count on and know when to expect to hear from you. The frequency can differ from business to business but emailing at least one time per month is recommended to keep you top of mind.
- Be too general. While it is often overlooked, personalization is one of the strengths of email marketing. Just including first names makes it feel more personal and builds stronger relationships. Research shows that including a reader’s name in the subject line increases open rates by over 25%.
Don’t expect to be perfect at email marketing or get disheartened if you’ve made any of these mistakes. There’s always room for improvement, so you need to evaluate how your email marketing campaigns are working using analytics to track your results. You can then adjust your strategy to fix any mistakes you might be making.
If email marketing seems intimidating or you just don’t have the time to do it properly, Blue Orchid Marketing can take it off your hands and make sure you’ll always be top of mind with your customers and prospects.
Give us a call at 203-746-5901 or email us at sales@BlueOrchidMarketing.com to schedule a consultation to discuss how we can boost your business using strategic email marketing.